Sunday, April 6, 2014

Home Sweet Home Stained Glass, Feb 8 - Apr 6, 2014

We've been hit with Snowstorm the last 3 days. I'm feeling antsy at home but I don't know how to drive my van on the snow. So, I decided to challenge myself and make the biggest and the most pieces of stained glass I've ever made so far.. ha ha.. (I should go out more often)..
Anyways, I decided to make this panel called Home Sweet Home from Glass Patterns magazine, probably about 10x16 inches big and over 200 pieces of glass.. Yikes (the most pieces I've ever made is less than 36).

This is the journey of this panel:

Day 1:  Decided on the project and did phase 1 of cutting the first 40 pieces of glass. 6-hour of work from tracing and cutting the pattern to cutting the glass.

Day 1, Feb8,14 Trace the pattern
Day 1, Feb8,14 Cut the first 40 pieces of glass

Day 2: Another day stuck at home with freezing rain outside. I cut and grind 38 pieces of glass and cut few more patterns for the next phase. I worked for about 3.5 hours today.
Day 2, Feb9,14 Cut the next 38 pieces of glass

Day 3: It's Monday and there is still no school for the boys due to the slow thawing of the ice.I didn't want to take chance of driving in the morning so I was able to cut 38 more pieces of glass for my Home Sweet Home early in the morning and an hour before bed. I spent about 3 hours today, with 38 pieces of glass being cut.

Day 3, Feb10,14 Cut the next 38 pieces of glass

Day 4: Feb 11, 2014: I traced and cut only 23 pieces of glass on the top right part. The top part of this will be tedious and tiny pieces so I'll do little parts each so I won't get too overwhelmed.

Day 4, Feb11,2014 top right pieces cut and grinded

Day 5-8, March 9-11, 2014: I cut the rest of the pieces, then fine grind a lot of pieces so all of them fit into the frame. Tedious job but so glad it's done. The next step is to take each pieces out and clean them with alcohol before foiling them.

All pieces in and fine grinded, Mar11,14
Finally, I finished  foiling all the pieces and put them together. Took me a while and not so easy with pieces that ended up too big or too small.

Foiled all the pieces, March 30, 2014
After almost 2 months making this project, it's DONE!!! It measured about 9x12 inches.

Finished, Apr6,14

No comments:

Post a Comment